Reading about Augmented Reality (AR) and its possibilities in interactive learning resulted in me thinking of effective applications that this technology could bring to education. I had previously heard about the use of AR in medical education and decided to research it further.

From my research, I have discovered three key benefits that AR can bring to medical education.

1. Realistic Experience
  2. Low Risk
  3. High Efficiency

With a headset and an inanimate object, AR can provide an effective learning experience for future doctors and surgeons because of the realistic experience it creates. Instead of using obviously fake plastic dummies to learn, AR creates an immersive and realistic experience. Students can see how the different parts of the body are built and function together.

A large portion of learning in the medical industry is also typically done on real patients. As AR allows for an immersive and realistic experience, students can have better practice before facing real-world situations. This enhances safety for patients and confidence for students.

Typical learning structures in medical school include scheduled and limited practice environments. Because of the ease and low cost of AR, students are able to practice as much and as often as they seem fit. This increased the efficiency of learning and materials being utilized.

This technology is being used at many schools around the globe and I am very curious to see what the future brings for AR.

The above video gives an example of what an AR experience for a medical student could look like.