Typical high school and university assessment methods of tests and exams are a method I have questioned at times throughout my education. For some classes, where obtaining the full grasp of the material is at the extent of either understanding it or not, this format of assessment seems applicable. An example of one of these classes would be a mathematics or statistics class, where the formulas are given and the questions are relevant. This would provide the invigilator knowledge of whether the student understands the material or not.

For other classes, this method may not be as appropriate. For example, social studies and more arts-based classes are effective at provoking thought and looking at things through different lenses. A multiple-choice exam would not be an effective way of testing a student’s knowledge of these class concepts. I find for these classes, a multiple-choice type results in an emphasis on memorization rather than understanding. Dates, names, and events are memorized for a short period of time and then forgotten shortly after. In my opinion, a more effective testing method would involve using class concepts in a project-type environment. This forces a student to really understand the concepts and present them in a way that proves the full grasp of the material.